- Light the bottom of the candle, stick the candle on a surface.
2. Fill a balloon with water and tie it. Make sure that you keep the balloon fairly small to avoid stretching the rubber too much.
3. Light the candle and place the balloon over the flame so that the flame touches the balloon.
4. Count slowly to ten and then remove the balloon from the flame. It should not have popped!
5. Try the same experiment with an air-filled balloon… it should pop straight away.
6. Try holding the water-filled balloon over the flame for a long time… does it eventually pop?