Photosynthesis & Cellular respiration in Plants
1. Understand the role of photosynthesis and respiration by doing the following investigation on light and role of chlorophyll on production of carbon dioxide at night
3-4 days to be done in class
The process of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in plants are two processes that work together in a cycle in plants.
One happens during daytime and other at night.
A few potted house plants
Black construction paper
A funnel that will it in the end of the straw to pour lime water
Links to refer:
Chapter 8 Energy Cycles in ecosystem and importance in plants
Step 1: Put a piece of black paper on the leaf and stick with tape. Leave it for 2-3 days. Remove the tape after 3 days and make your observation.
Step 2: On second plant put a poly bag on the plant and tape the end of the bag to the pot of the plant and leave it covered overnight in a dark area.
Step 3: Next day remove the bag from the plant and seal it quickly. Now put a straw in the bag and pour lime water. See the results.
Step 4: Connect the results with the cellular respiration among animals and ask the question How does this investigation help us understand cellular respiration?
1. What do you think will happen when tape is removed from the leaf after 3 days? Explain why.
2. What happens when plants sleep?
3. Do you think plants release water too? How can this investigation show that
4. What else do you think we will get in the bag? Children might say CO2. . Test the same with lime water test. Ask children what might happen to lime water.
5. Make them exhale air into the jar with lime water. Ask them why do you think lime water became milky? Let them think on the reaction that happens between lime and CO2 and explain the logic.
Accurate, Clearly explained, Complete, Knowledgeable, Methodical, Precise, Organized, Well crafted/ articulated, Informative
To engage students its best if you connect one concept with other aspects related to it.