Steps for Activity and Preparation:
1. Prepare plastic pop bottles by removing the labels and drilling holes in the tops big enough to allow the temperature probes or thermometers to pass through
2. Set up clamp stands and heat lamps as shown in Figure above
3. Fill one of the bottles with carbon dioxide, screw the top on (with temperature probe / thermometer in place) and plug any gaps with Plasticine™.
4. Prepare the other bottle full of air by screwing on the top (with temperature probe / thermometer in place) and plug any gaps with Plasticine™.
5. Monitor the temperatures of both bottles until they are approximately the same. At this point switch on the heat lamps and start the recording.
6. After 20 minutes switch the heat lamps off but continue recording the temperatures for a further 20 minutes
7. Plot a graph of temperature against time for each bottle and compare the two results.
Do not place the light bulbs too close to the plastic bottles as they will melt Typical results after experiment