coal, coal gas, coal tar, coke, fossil fuel, natural gas, petroleum, petroleum refinery
1. Why do you think it is important to conserve exhaustible resources of energy even though we have found ways of getting energy from renewable sources?
- Name 2 exhaustible inexhaustible sources of energy respectively.
- Define carbonization.
- Which of the following is also known as the black gold: a) CNG b) Natural gas c) coal d) petroleum
- Which of these is used as a solvent for dry cleaning: a) bitumen b) paraffin wax c) petrol d) kerosene
- In India, which association advises people on saving petrol or diesel while driving: a) Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) b) Coal Conservation Research Association (CCRA) c) Eco-driving advice d) Petroleum Conservation Association (PCRA)
- Coke is used in the manufacture of___ a) sodium b) mercury c) steel d) potassium
- What do you understand by inexhaustible natural resources. Give examples.
- Write the difference between exhaustible and inexhaustible natural resources.
- What do you mean by fossil fuels?
- Describe how coal is formed from dead vegetation. What is this process called?
- Choose the correct option. Column A contains name of products of petroleum and column B contains their uses. a) 1- d , 2-c, 3-b , 4-a b) 1-b,2-d,3-a 4-c c) 1-a,2-b, 3-c,4-d d) 1-b,2-d,3-c,4-a
- Coal was formed over a long period of time under high pressure and temperature conditions by the decomposition of dead vegetation. This process is known as: a) refining b) threshing c) condensation d) carbonization
- During the processing of coal to obtain ___i__, __ii__ is formed as a by product. The information in which alternative completes the given statement: a) i- coal, ii- coke b) i- coke, ii- coal tar c) i- coal tar, ii- coal gas d) i-coke ii coal gas
- Which of the following products is not obtained from petroleum: a) coke b) diesel c) paraffin wax d) lubricating oil
- Which of the following statement about fossil fuels is correct: a) only petroleum is prepared in the laboratory b) petrochemicals are product of coal and petroleum c) both coal and petroleum are prepared in the laboratory d) petrochemicals are product of petroleum and natural gas
- Coal, petroleum and methane are organic substances. They exist in different physical states. The physical state in which coal, petroleum and methane respectively exist are: a) solid, liquid, liquid b) solid, liquid and solid c) solid, liquid and gas d) gas, liquid and solid
- Why is petroleum known as black gold?
- Which of the following is used for making naphthalene balls: a) coal tar b) petroleum c) CNG d) paraffin
- A substance x is obtained from an exhaustible natural resource. It is a black and thick liquid with an unpleasant smell. It is a mixture of 175 – 200 substances. Some of the products such as synthetic dyes, plastic paints, explosives are obtained using their resources. The substance X is: a) coke b) coal tar c) bitumen d) lubricating oil
- Why do you think there is so much emphasis on conserving exhaustible sources of energy?
- Assertion A: Coal contains mainly carbon. Reason R: As under high pressure and high temperature, dead plants get slowly converted to coal. a) Assertion is incorrect but the reason is correct b) Assertion is correct but the reason is incorrect c) both assertion and reason are correct, but the reason is not the correct explanation of assertion d) both assertion and reason are correct and the reason is the correct explanation of assertion
- Assertion A: Coal gas is a mixture of methane, hydrogen and carbon monoxide. Reason R: It is obtained when coal is brunt in excess air. a) Assertion is incorrect but the reason is correct b) Assertion is correct but the reason is incorrect c) both assertion and reason are correct, but the reason is not the correct explanation of assertion d) both assertion and reason are correct and the reason is the correct explanation of assertion
- Statement 1: Coal when heated in air, produces carbon dioxide gas. Statement 2: Coal tar is black, thick liquid with unpleasant smell is obtained from coke and is a mixture of more than 200 substances a) only statement 1 is true b) only statement 2 is true c) both statement 1 and 2 are correct d) both statement 1 and 2 are incorrect
- Statement 1: Fossil fuels are the dead remains of living organisms that have been buried for a long time. Statement 2: Excessive use of fossil fuels causes global warming and a depletion of natural resources. Statement 3: Earthquakes occur as a result of burning fossil fuels. Among the given statements: a) only statement 1 is true b) only statement 3 is true c) statement 1 and 2 are true d) statement 2 and 3 are true