balanced diet, beriberi, carbohydrates, energy, fats, minerals, nutrients, proteins, roughage, scurvy, starch, vitamins
1. Why is balanced diet important for our body?
2. Even though there is plenty of information available regarding balanced diet we should eat still there is lack of right nutrition based food coming on our platter? Why do you think so?
- Define nutrients.
- What are the various components of a balanced food?
- Define obesity.
- What are deficiency diseases? Name two such diseases.
- List the name of deficiency diseases caused by deficiency of: Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Iodine and Iron
- Name two foods rich in phosphorus, iodine and iron each.
- What do you understand by vitamin B complex?
- What is roughage? Name the sources of roughage in our food
- Name the vitamin that is produced within the human body.
- List the following foods under the right category: fish oil, milk, carrot, cereals, liver, amla, guava, butter, lobster, eggs Idoine | Vitamin D | Vitamin C | Vitamin B | Vitamin A
- Iron, is a biological nutrient found in human body in: a) blood b) bones c) hair d) all of these
- In addition to proteins and carbohydrates, the other elements of nutritional value in milk include: a) potassium and iron b) calcium and potassium c) calcium, potassium and iron d) calcium and iron
- Select the component that is obtained only from plant sources: a) roughage b) fats c) proteins d) carbohydrates
- Carbohydrate and fats containing food are called: a) protective foods b) fibrous foods c) body building foods d) energy giving foods
- Explain in detail the starch test of food with an example.
- Write in detail in the protein test of food with an example.
- Write a test to identify the fats in food.
- What is the importance of vitamins and minerals in food?
- What type of food have dietary fibers in them?
- Write a short note on balanced diet.
- How do we get source of vitamin c in our food?
- Why do we need calcium in our diet?
- What is the function of carbohydrates in our body?
- What is the function of roughage in our body?
- Goitre is: a) a deficiency disease caused due to deficiency of vitamin B1 c) a deficiency disease caused due to deficiency of iodine d) a deficiency disease where glands in the neck appear swollen and mental disability in children d) both b and c
- Two richest sources of vegetable edible protein are: a) meat and eggs b) wheat and leafy vegetables c) soya bean and groundnut d) fish and soya bean
- A component of food is known as body building food. It is called: a) proteins and is obtained from pant sources b) proteins and is obtained from animal sources c) proteins and is obtained both from plant sources and animal sources d) minerals and is obtained from both plant sources and animal sources
- The fat soluble vitamins are: a) vitamin B and vitamin c b) vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin K c) vitamin A and vitamin B d) none of the above
- Our body weight comprises most of: a) fats b) carbohydrate c) protein d) potassium
- For strong bone and teeth two important minerals needed are: a) calcium and iron b) phosphorus and fluorine c) calcium and phosphorus d) iodine and calcium
- We must not use excess water during cooking as it may: a) result in loss of carbohydrates b) result in loss of minerals and proteins c) result in loss of fats d) both b and c
- Obesity is caused when one takes more food than needed. It is caused because: a) extra food is stored as fat b) extra food is not properly digested c) extra food is stored as starch d) none of these
- Why is important to have dietary fiber in food in a balanced diet?
- Why is it said that some nutrients are lost in the process of cooking and preparations? Explain in detail.
- Why is it said to have foods raw which are rich in vitamin c?
- Why are vitamins equally important part of a balanced diet?
- Groundnut, bread and dal are given to you. You need to prove which of the following will fall under the category of fats, carbohydrate and protein. How will you show it?
- Why do we need iron in our diet?
- The main difference between raw and cooked soya bean is in respect of: a) biological value of proteins c) amino acids composition c) protein content d) none of these
- A food sample is taken in a test tube and a few drops of iodine are added to it. It was observed the solution turned blue and black. It shows the presence of: a) proteins b) fat c) carbohydrates d) vitamins
- A paste of food item was taken in a test tube and to it a few drops of copper sulphate solution was added followed by caustic soda solution. A violet color was observed in the test tube after a few minute. It shows the presence of: a) carbohydrates b) vitamins c) fats d) protein
- Goitre is common in hilly areas because: a) soil of hilly areas is poor in iodine content b) drinking water as well as food grown in these areas are deficient in iodine c) both a and b d) none of these
- Why does a bowl of fried food which has the same amount of calories as two chapattis and a katori of vegetable if eaten leads to obesity? Give reasons for your answer.
- Why do you think a non balanced diet over period of time leads to various disorders in the human body?
- Choose the odd one out: a) groundnuts b) coconut oil c) soya bean oil d) ghee
- Choose the correct option: The following are a rich source of iodine: a) P and Q b) Q and R c) P and S d) R and P
- X is a plant source. Identify X in the following diagram. a) groundnut b) soya bean c) coconut oil d) none of the both
- The following information is given about Z in the venn diagram. Identify Z a) meat b) fish c) eggs d) milk
- The following information has been given about Z in the venn diagram. Identify Z from the following options: a) sunflower b) maize c) banana d) none of the above
- Assertion A: Obesity occurs when one takes more food than requirements Reason R: The extra food gets stored as fat and the person becomes too fat a) both A and R are correct and R is the correct explanation of A b) both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is tru
- Assertion A: Dried beans and eggs contain appreciable amounts of phosphorus Reason R: Milk and dairy products are excellent sources of phosphorus a) both A and R are correct and R is the correct explanation of A b) both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Foods containing proteins are called body building foods Reason R: Paneer is a plant source of protein a) both A and R are correct and R is the correct explanation of A b) both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Deficiency of calcium causes rickets Reason R: In our diet milk and milk products are the major source of calcium a) both A and R are correct and R is the correct explanation of A b) both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true