lumionous, mirror, opaque, pinhole camera, reflection, shadow, translucent, transparent
1. What is visible light and how does it travel?
2. What is reflection, refraction and transmission?
- We can see our reflection on stainless steel plate, but once the plate gets washed multiple times, the image formation is not clear. Can you tell why?
- Moon shines at night. Will you categorize into a luminous or non luminous object?
- What is law of reflection?
- Which term is used to refer regular reflection from a smooth surface in a single direction?
- Which term is used to refer to an incoming ray?
- Write down the mirror image of TRANSPARENT
- State which of the following is true or false :
1) The virtual image produced by a plane mirror appears to be the same distance away from the mirror as the object itself.
2) A plane mirror produces a top-to-bottom reversal and a left-to-right reversal.
3) The height of an image as seen in a plane mirror is the same as the actual height of the object.
4) A plane mirror produces a same-size real image.
5) Virtual images are formed from divergent ray
8. Fill in the blanks :
- Black surface looks black because all the light that falls on it gets_____
- Reflection occurs when light on falling surface___
- Specular reflection is reflection from surface in _____
- Law of reflection says_____
- An opaque surface_______ most of the light that falls on it and _____ only some light
- A transparent surface transmit_____ of the light that falls on it and ______ only a little light
- A translucent surface transmits______ scattered light, but there is no clear image of the view beyond it.
- Which of the following best describes the image from a plane mirror? a) virtual and magnification greater than one b) real and magnification less than one c) virtual and magnification equal to one d) real and magnification equal to one
- What is the size and position of an image formed by a plane mirror?
- A light ray meets a plane mirror at 60°. What is the angle of reflection?
- What is the name of the imaginary line drawn at 90° to the surface of reflecting material?
- There is a light on earth even on a dark, cloudy day. This is because clouds are: a) Opaque b) Transparent c) Translucent d) Luminous
- The object that does not give out light on its own is the: a) Star b) Lighted matchstick c) Light bulb d) Shinning mirror
- Which of the following reflects light the most: a) mirror b) piece of cloth c) paper d) wooden table
- We can see objects in a bright room because: a) The objects give of light to the air b) The objects reflect the light falling on them c) The objects send light away from our eyes d) Our eyes give of light to the objects
- A candle is placed near a plane mirror as shown below. At which point is the image of the candle formed.
- An object represented by the grey arrow, is placed in front of a plane mirror. Which of the diagrams below best represents the image, represented by the pink arrow?
- An object is placed 100 cm from a plane mirror. How far is the image from the object?
- When the reflection of an object is seen in a plane mirror, the distance from the mirror to the image depends on: a) the wavelength of light used for viewing b) the distance from the object to the mirror c) The distance of both the observer and the object to the mirror d) the size of the object
- A man stand two meters away from a plane mirror. How far is it from the man to his image?
- A light rays is send through a pipe A which has a U bend at point B. Will I be able to see light coming out from point D? Give reasons
- Which is densest for light to travel- air, water, glass?
- How does light travel from a source?
- Why do we like light color clothes in summers?
- Why do we prefer dark color clothes in winters?
- A device containing two plane mirrors which gives us a higher viewer than normal is: a) Stethoscope b) Microscope c) Periscope d) Telescope
- Anushka put some tea into four cups made of paper, glass, metal and porcelain respectively. Which one of these cups will allow her to see the level of tea clearly? A) Paper Cup b) Metal Cup c) Glass Cup d) porcelain Cup
- In a science quiz competition, Rehana is asked a question where she had to choose the statement which was/were incorrect? a) The shadow of an object is erect b) The shadow of an object is virtual c) Irrespective of the color of the object, the shadow is always black d) The shadow can be smaller than the object, equal to the object or bigger than the object.
- Priya is writing some statements, choose the incorrect statement and help him: a) The image formed in a plane mirror is the same distance behind the mirror as object is in front of the mirror b) The periscope is a device which gives us a higher than normal c) A periscope works on the reflection of light from two plane mirrors are parallel to one another d) The image formed in a plane mirror is inverted
- Paheli observed the shadow of a tree at 8 A.M. 12 noon and 3 P.M. Which of the following statements is closer to her observations about the shape and size of the shadow? a) The shape of the shadow of the tree changes but the size remains the same b) The size of the shadow of the tree changes but the shape remains the same c) Both size and shape of the shadow of the tree changes d) Neither the shape nor the size of the shadow changes
- Nisha placed a stick vertically in the playground at 8:15 am in the morning. How will the shadow of the stick be at 12:00 noon be in comparison to the one at 8:15 am?
- The following are the sources of light: i) a glow worm ii) an electric blub iii) the stars which of the given sources emit light naturally: a) only i and ii b) only ii and iii c) only i and iii d) all the three
- Which of the following absorbs light the most: a) a mirror b) a piece of white paper c) a black wallet d) a green leaf
- Identify the translucent objects given in the box below: i) ground glass ii) ice iii) black tape a) only i and ii b) only ii and iii c) only i and iii d) all the three
- How does light travel: a) rectilinear propagation b) random motion c) curvilinear motion d) circular motion
- Why does an opaque object form a shadow when placed in the path of light: a) because light gets reflected b) the opaque object does not allow light to pass through it c) the opaque object acts as a source of light d) light is a form of energy
- What happened when light falls on a wooden chair: a) a part of light reflected from the chair enters our eyes b) light passes through the wooden chair c) chair send signal to eyes that enable us to see d) electrical energy is given out by the chair
- Why are we able to see the objects around us? Give valid reasons
- In the morning when the sun rises in the east, your shadow will be seen on the: a) east b) north c) west d) south
- A light source is incident on an object P. If a dark colored shadow of the object is cast on the screen then which of the following could be correct: a) iron ball b) piece of glass c) a wax coated paper d) transparent plastic sheet
- Observe the figure : Identify the X, Y and Z a) X= opaque body Y= Light source Z= Shadow b) X= light source Y= opaque body Z= Light source c) X= Light source Y= Opaque body Z= Shadow d) X= opaque body Y = Shadow Z= Light source
- Read the following statement and choose the correct options: Statement1: Light travels in a straight line. Statement2: light can be seen when it passes through a bent pipe as it will get reflected. Choose the correct options: a) Both statement 1 and 2 are correct b) Both statement 1 and 2 are false c) Only Statement 1 is correct d) Only statement 2 is correct
- Read the following statement and choose the correct options: Statement1: A shadow gives only the outline of the object that it passes through. Statement 2: Shadows formed due to the blocking of the light are similar to their images. Choose the correct options: a) Both statement 1 and 2 are correct b) Both statement 1 and 2 are false c) Only Statement 1 is correct d) Only statement 2 is correct
- At what time will the shadow cast by a pole under the sun will be the shortest: a) 8.30am b) 10.00am c) 12.00pm d) 3.40pm
- The diagram given below shows the position of four students P, Q, R and S observing the flame of a candle through the pipes. Which student can see the candle flame.
- Rikki is writing some statements, choose the incorrect statement and help him: a) The planets can be seen in the sky because they are reflectors of sunlight b) The non-luminous objects can be seen only when light coming from a luminous object falls on them c) In day time, we can see a flower because it reflects sunlight falling on it into only our eyes d) We see most of the objects around us by the reflected light.
- Which of the following can never form a circular shadow? a) A ball b) A flat disc c) A shoe box d) An ice-cream cone
- Pragya is completed her science chapter where she wrote some statements. She wants to know whether the statements are correct or not? Pragya wants to take help from you: a) We can see clearly through the transparent materials b) Those materials which allow all the light to pass through them are called transparent materials c)If we are able to see through an object clearly it is allowing all the light to pass through it and hence it is a non-transparent object d)None of the above
- A torch is shone onto a star shaped card which forms a shadow on the screen behind the card. What will happen to the shadow if the torch is moved away from the card