Gurjara- Pratiharas, Cholas, Seventh to Twelfth centuries, Chahamanas, administration, prashasti, ur, nadu, sabha,nagarams, Tang Dynasty
1. Why do you think so many new dynasties emerged between seventh and twelfth century in India?
2. What is the difference between the tax system during this period and modern day India?
3. In what ways is the modern day administration different from the present day system?
4. How do you think administration happened in other parts of the world?
- Which new dynasty developed in eastern part of the country? a) Cholas b) Palas c) Chahamanas d) Rashtrakutas
- What was the other name of the great lord of a circle or region: a) Samantas b) Subordinates c) Mahamandaleshvara d) King
- Who were expected to bring gifts for thier kings in the 17th century: a) Samantas b) Overlords c) Mahasamantas d) Maha mandaleshwara
- When were Samantas declared Maha Samantas: a) When they bring gifts for kings b) When they provided kings with military support c) When they gain power and wealth d) none
- What is the literal meaning of Hiranya garbha: a) Rashtrakutas b) Dantidurga c) Golden womb d) Golden deer
- From whom was the revenue also collected: a) Traders b) Merchants c) Peasants d) Artisans
- What is Vetti: a) rent b) tax c) revenue d) none
- What was the use of money collected from taxes: a) To finance the kings establishment b) construction of temple and forts c) to fight wars d) all of these
- In which language was the Prashasti found in Gwalior written: a) Hindi b) English c) Sanskrit d) Urdu
- Who was Nagabhata: a) Gupta ruler b) Chakrayudha c) Malava d) Pratihara King
- Brahamanas were rewarded by grants of land recorded on ) copper plates b) iron plates c) silver plates d) beetal leaves
- The person who recieved the land could collect taxes on: a) beteel leaves b) woven clothes c) Vehicles d) All of these
- Who invaded Somnath Temple in Gujarat: a) Akbar b) Muhammad Ghori c) Mahmud Ghazni d) None
- Who ruled in Tamil Nadu: a) Cholas b) Chalukyas c) Rashtrakutas d) None
- From Uraiyur to Thanjavur Muttaraiyar help power in this delta region: a) Kaveri b) Krishna c) Mahanadi d) Godavari
- Al- Biruni who has written Kitab-ul- Hind is appointed by a) Mohammad Ghazini b) Muhammad Ghori c) Babur d) Iltutmish
- Match the contents of Column A and Column B:
Column A Column B
- Tribhuvana Chakravartini a) Arabic soldier
- Al- Biiini b) Great Lord of region
- Ur c) Land of non Brahmanas
- Muvendavalen d) Peasant serving three kings
- Vellanvagai e) Lords of three worlds
- Maha- Mandaleshvara f) settlement of peasants
Fill in the blanks with appropriate words:
- _____ defeated Muhammad Ghori.
- ____ wrote kitab-al- Hind.
- Gurjara- Pratiharas____ and ____ fought the Tripartite struggle
- Temple at Thanjavur was for Goddess____
- Group of Ur formed larger units called ____
- Most of the Brahmadeya land was in ____ valley.
State whether the given statement are true or false:
- Palas ruled over present state of Tamil Nadu.
- Kalhan composed a peom about rulers of Kashmir.
- Chahamanas rulers ruled over the regions around Delhi and Ajmer.
- IN the mid of 8th century Dantidurga overthrew Chola rulers.
- Land for maintenance of a school was called Pallichhandam.
- Land gifted to temples was called devadana
- The functionaries for collecting revenue were recrutied from : a) Peasants b) artisans c) traders d) influential families
- Prashastis tell us how rulers wanted to depict themselves as: a) leader b) valiant victorious warriors c) achievers d) all of these
- The ritual Hiranya- Garba performd Rashtrakuta chief is: a) to enlarge the kingdom b) to rebirth as Kshatriya c) For the rebirth of son d) None
- Vetti in Chola administration is/ are: a) forced labour b) land revenue c) Village head d) Samamtas
- Tripartite struggle is between: a) Cholas, Chera, Pandyas b) Gurjara- Pratiharas, Rashtrakuta, Palas c) magadha, Vajji, Avanti d) Satavahana, Vijaynager, Gupta
- Goddess Nishumbhasudhini Temple was built by: a) Rajaraja Chola b) Rajendra Chola c) Vijayala d) Muttaraiyar
7. Match the following:
a) Rajaraja Chola Brihadeshwara temple
b) Vijayala Gangaikondacholapuram
c) Rajendra Chola Nishumbhasudhini temple
8. Match the following language and regions noted by Amir Khusrau:
a) Gauri 1. Eastern UP
b) Awadhi 2. Bengal
c) Hindawi 3. Karnataka
d) Dvasamudri 4. Delhi
- Uttaramerur inscription provided details of: a) Prithviraj 3 victory over Mohammad Ghori b) Delhi sultanate power c) Mohammad Ghazni d) Election of Sabha in Chola Kingdom
- Land given for maintenance of school during Chola period is named: a) Vellanvagai b) Brahmedeya c) Shalabhoga d) Trirunamattukkani
- Delhi become the capital for the first time under: a) Tomara Rajputs b) Khaljis c) Sayyids d) Lodhis
- Ariyar a title given to rich landowners by Cholas denotes: a) Chief b) Peasants serving the kings c) One constructed temple d) None
- Consider the following statements about Chola temples: Statement 1: They are the center of craft production Statement 2: Endowed with land Statement 3: They are only for worship . Choose the correct statements: a) Only 1, 3 b) Only 2,3 c) Only1, 2 d) All of the above
- Muslim across the world are divided as Sunni and Shias. Consider the following statement about them:Statement1: Sunni accepted authority of early leaders of the community and succeeding Khlifas Statement 2: Shia accepted prophet Mohammed son in law as legitimate leader of Muslim community. choose the following: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) None
- Consider the following statement about Prashastis : Statement 1: Information provided by them is always true Statement 2: They were composed by learned Brahmanas. Choose the CORRECT statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2.
- Consider the following about Chola empire: 1) Only deities were made with bronze 2) Wells and tanks were used for irrigation. a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement about Sabhaa in Chola period: 1) Only those owners of land for which land revenue is collected are eligible 2) Should possess knowledge of vedas 3) If anyone of member of committee in last 5 years he cannot be member again. a) Only 1 ,2 b) Only 2, 3 c) Only 1,3 Only 1, 2, 3