travelling, manuscript, inscription, archeology, historian, source, decipherment
1. How do we know what happened hundred years ago?
2. Why do you think historians and archeologist search for old relics?
3. Why is it important to search for things that happened centuries ago? How does it help us in modern world?
- Who are gatherers?
- Where are the Sulaiman and Kirthar hills located?
- What are tributaries? Name the tributary of the river Ganga
- What are inscriptions?
- What is meant by manuscript?
- People who gathered their food are called____ a) hunters b) skilled gatherers c) farmers d) merchants
- The places where rice was first grown are located in____ a) North of Vindhyas b) Sulaiman hills c) on the banks of Ganga d) Garo hills
- ___ was not used in the old books a) Prakrit b) Hindi c) Tamil d) sanskrit
- Fill in the blanks:
a) Men and women moved in search of ___ and to escape from.
b) The name India was given by the Iranians and the___
c) The bark of the birch tree was used to prepare___
d) Inscriptions were written on hard surfaces like____
e) Travelling from one place to another let to____
Mark true/ false:
a) The first crops were grown almost 8000 years ago
b) The Garo hills are located in south of India
c) The Magadha Kingdom was set up near the Ganga river
d) The Rigveda is the earliest composition in the Sanskrit language
e) the Iranians and the Greeks called India Bharat
f) Inscriptions were written on the palm leaf.
g) The years are counted with reference to the birth of Christ
h) The ordinary people used Prakrit to talk to each other.
a) River Indus and its tributaries
b) Garo Hills
c) Sulaiman and Kirthar ranges
d) Garo Hills
- How are manuscripts different from inscription?
- Write a short note on archeologists.
- What do historians means by the word source?
- People in the earliest times used to travel from one place to another. But their journeys were full of dangers. What type of dangers did they face?
- Inscriptions found near Kandhar were written in : a) Urdu and Hindi b) Sanskrit and Aramaic c) Greek and Aramaic d) None of the above?
- Which of the following rivers are the tributaries of River Indus: a) Beas b) Jhelum c) Chenab d) Sutlej Select the correct option: a) 1 and 2 only b) 2 and 3 only c) 1,2 and 3 only d) 1,2,3 and 4
- What do we call the area along the river Ganga and its tributary rivers in the ancient times? a) Kosala b) Magadha c) Ujjain d) Vatsa
- What is the significance of archeologist in our society?
- What is decipherment?
- What is the significance of Rosetta stone?
- Rice is first grown in: a) North of Vindhyas b) South of Krishna c) North of Indus d) South of Lohit
- Sulaiman ranges border: a) India and China b) India and Nepal c) India and Myanmar d) Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Major reason for South Asia being regarded as a Sub continent: a) Huge population b) democratic politics c) demarcation with surrounding areas d) none of the above
Map work: In the physical map of India locate
a) rivers flowing in the deccan plateau draining into arabian sea
b) two rivers flowing in the southern region of India
c) two hills where agriculture developed first
- Why did ordinary men and women did not keep records?
- Why do archeologist look for bones of animals, birds and fish?
- Why did people travel from one part to another in the olden days?
- How can we say that historians and archeologists are like detectives?
- Consider the following statements: Statement1: Manuscripts are written on hard surfaces Statement 2: Inscriptions are written on leaves Choose the correct statements: a) only 1 b) only 2 c) both 1 and 2 d) neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements: Statement 1: Manuscripts dealt with religious beliefs and practices Statement 2: Manuscripts were written in Sanskrit, Prakrit and Tamil. Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements: Statement 1: Artefacts are the old objects like tools, weapons, pots, coins which were used by early man Statement 2: Archaeologist is a person who studies human history and prehistory through the excavation sites and the analysis of artefacts and other physical remains. Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements: Statement 1: Garo hills are located in Assam Statement 2: Vindhya range runs through Madhya Pradesh and extends upto Gujarat in the west, and Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in the east. Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements: Statement1: Some of the tributaries of River Ganga are Son, Yamuna and Koshi Statement 2: About 2500 years ago, cities developed on the banks of Ganga and tributaries Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements about inscriptions: Statement1: These are writings on relatively hard surfaces such are stone or metal Statement 2: Kings got their orders inscribed so that people could see, read and obey them Statement 3: They were used by Kings, Queens to record what they did Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 1 and 2 only c) 2 and 3 only d) 1, 2 and 3
- Consider the following pairs: a) Narmada Valley- the first cities b) Garo Hills- Hunting and gathering c) Indus and tributaries- early agriculture Which of the above pairs is/ are matched: a) 1 only b) 2 and 3 only c) 1 and 3 only d) none of the above
- Consider the following statements: Statemen1: Sulaiman and Kirthar hills is located in North West of India Statement 2: Agriculture developed around 8 years ago Select the correct answer using the code given below: a) 1 only b) 2 only c) both 1 and 2 d) neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statements: Statement 1: The word India comes from the Indus, called Sindhu in Prakrit. Statement 2: The name Bharata was used for group of people who lived in the northwest. Select the correct option: a) 1 Only b) 2 Only c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2