anemometer, cyclone, hurricane, low pressure, tornado, typhoon, wind flow pattern, thunderstorms, pressure, lightning, monsoon winds, trade winds
1 How does moving air affect the weather?
2 How does changing air pressure affect the weather?
3 What happens to the weather when a cold or warm front passes through the area?
4 How do high and low pressure systems change the weather in the area?
5 How does pressure and air mass movement affect the development of various types of storms?
- Anemometer is used to measure: a) amount of water vapor b) wind velocity c) Amount of rainfall d) air pressure
- Following precautions one must take in case a storm is accompanied by lightening: 1) Do not take shelter under tree 2) Do not take shelter under an umbrella with a metallic end 3) Do not take shelter n open garages, storage, sheds etc. 4) Do not take shelter in a bus in open. Which one is in correct: a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4
- The winds from oceans carry water and bring rain. These winds are called: a) Typhoon b) Monsoon c) Cyclone d) none
- Match the following:
Column A Column B
1. Wind a) Dark funnel shaped cloud
2. Monsoon b) Very low pressure system with very high speed winds revolving around it
3. Thunderstorm c) Measures the speed of wind
4. Cyclone d) develops in India very frequently
5. Tornado e) Moving air
6. Anemometer f) winds carrying water
5. Fill in the blanks:
- Moving ____ is called a wind
- Air exerts _____
- Increased wind speed is accompanied ___ air pressure.
- The warm air is _____ than cold air.
- Wind currents are generated due to ___ heating on the earth.
- Very ___ pressure system with very____ speed winds revolving around it is called a cyclone.
- A dark funnel shaped ___ that reaches from the sky to the ground is called a tornado.
- ____ and ___ have made possible to issue a cyclone alert that is 48hours in advance.
6. Which of the following is true of the ‘ eye of cyclone’: a) It is high pressure area b) Its an area with low pressure c) It has lots of clouds and rains d) It has high temperature
7. How many wind belts are there on Earth? a) Four b) Two c) One d) Three
- Which of the following places is most likely to be affected by a cyclone: a) Mumbai b) Puri c) Goa d) Porbandar
- What is a cyclone? a) Winds from the oceans carrying water b) Very low pressure system with very high speed winds revolving around it c) Dark funnel shaped cloud that reached from the sky to the ground d) none
- True or False:
1) Air around us exerts pressure
2) Air contracts on heating and expands on cooling
3) As cool air rises air pressure at that place is reduced and the warmer air moves to that place
4) Winds carrying water vapor brings rains.
5) High speed winds air pressure differences can cause cyclones.
6) Cyclones are beneficial to the people living in coastal areas
7) Tornadoes are very frequent in our country
8) It has become easier to monitor cyclones with the help of advanced technology like satellites and radars
4. During the formation of rain, what happens when water vapour changes to rain drops: a) Heat is absorbed b) heat is released c) Heat is first absorbed then released d) There is no exchange of heat
5. How are sea and land breeze caused: a) Through convection currents b) through cyclones c) Through rains d) through conduction
6. What is temporarily created behind when the vehicle moves very fast: a) Low pressure b) High pressure c) High temperature d) cyclone
7. From where do the monsoons wind come to India: a) North east b) North west c) South east d) South west
8. Which of these countries is likely to be affected by cyclones: a) Nepal b) Indonesia c) Hungary d) Mongolia
9. Which of the following will rise highest in the air: a) Air at 10º C b) Air at 40º C c) Air at 20º C d) Air at -5º C
10. When water vapour condenses around the dust particles in air, what does it form? a) Mist b) Dew c) Frost d) Snow
11. Which of the following is NOT correct of thunderstorm? a) They develop in hot, humid tropical areas like India very frequently b) They develop in cold, humid areas like polar region very frequently c) The swift movement of falling water droplets along with rising air create lightining and sound d) Upward rising winds produced by rising temperature carry water droplets upwards
12. Air moves faster between two places when the pressure difference between the place is: a) less b) zero c) More d) equal to the atmospheric pressure
13. Which of the following factor contribute to the development of cyclones: a) wind speed b) temperature c) humidity d) all a, b and c are correct
14. Explain how thunderstorm becomes a cyclone.
- Leaves of trees, banner or flags fluter when wind is blowing. Why? a) Air occupies space b) Air is a mixture of gases c) air exerts pressure d) air is colourless
- When we blow over a paper strip it goes upward. Why? a) Blowing over the paper reduces the air pressure above the strip. b) Blowing over the paper increases the air pressure above the strip c) None of the above is correct d) The strip will not go upward at all
- A fire alarm usually detects smoke in case of fire. Where should such an alarm be placed in a room? a) Near the door b) On the floor c) On any wall d) On the ceiling
- Pick odd one out: a) cyclone b) Hurricane c) Monsoon d) Typhoon
- The winds on the earth do not flow in the exact ” north to south” or ” south to north” directions . Why? a) Due to the seasons of the earth b) Due to the shape of the earth c) Due to the rotation of the earth d) Due to revolution of the earth
- Upon heating, gases become lighter. Why: a) Increase in molecular space b) decrease in molecular space c) breaking of molecules d) formation of new molecules
- What is the best thing to do when strong winds blow over a hut having a weak thatched roof? a) Open the doors and windows b) Close all the doors and windows c) Make holes in the roof d) burn wood inside
- Which of the following has the highest pressure: a) soft drink in a straw b) air c) soft drink in the glass d) a closed bottle
- On what principle does a syringe work? a) variance in pressure b) variance in temperature c) variance in humidity d) variance in mass
- Which of the following is NOT affected by air pressure: a) Riding a bicycle against the wind b) Flying a kite c) A ball falling to the ground d) Drinking through a straw
- How does uneven heating of the earth leads to generation of wind currents?
- Which of the following does NOT increase humidity of the surrounding air: a) a puddle of water evaporating in a few days b) Blowing hair dry after few days c) Formation of dew drops d) Drying of clothes under the sun
- Water vapor in the atmosphere condenses to form clouds? From this statement, what can be concluded: a) the temperature decreases as we go higher b) temperature increases as we go higher c) pressure decreases as we go higher d) Pressure increases as we go higher
- Which of the following in NOT affected by a difference in air pressure? P= hurricane Q=Tornado R= volcano a) Only P & Q b) Only Q & R c) Only Q d) Only R
- Which of the given statement best explains why the cardboard does NOT fall: a) The wet cardboard sticks to the glass b) Atmospheric pressure acts equally on the glass and on the cardboard c) The force of gravity pulling the cardboard is negligible d) Air pressure on the cardboard in the upward direction
- Read the following statement: 1. Cyclone is a rapidly rotating storm system 2. It has high pressure center Select the correct option for the above given statement: a) Statement 2 is true b) Statement 1 is true c) Statement 1 and 2 are true d) Neither statement 1 nor statement 2 is true
- On the earth, the winds blow from poles towards the equator. What can we infer: a) Earth is round or spherical b) It is hotter in and around equator c) It is hotter in and around poles d) Wind does not flow from the east or west
- Monsoon winds carry rain. Can you give a valid argument to prove why only these winds bring rain to India?