manuscripts, jati , region, periodisation, patrons, habitat, archives, nation state, cartographer
1. Why do you think there is a need to look back into history beyond 500 years?
2. How does the effort of tracing the centuries old archives give us the idea of the change in culture of the place?
3. How do maps help us in understanding the changing boundaries and human desire to conquer land?
1. Cartographer is a person who makes: a) Cartoons b) caricatures c) Maps d) none of these
2.Which of the following is not the meaning of foreigner in the past: a) stranger b) Pardesi c) ajnabi d) indigenous
5. In which period did the number and variety of textual records increase dramatically: a) 600 to 700 b) 700 to 800 c) 800 to 1000 d) 700 to 1750
6. Which type of people collected Manuscripts: a) poor people b) wealthy people c) local people d) none
7. Where were the manuscripts placed: a) at home b) In libraries c) archives d) both b and c
8. Ziyauddin Barani wrote his chronicle first in: a) 13th century b) 12th century c) 14th century d) 15th century
9. In which centuries was the term ‘ Kshatriya’ applied more generously to the group of warriors: a) eight and fourteenth centuries b) Nineteenth and twentieth centuries c) fourteenth and fifteenth century d) none
10. Which language was spoken during 14th century in present Bengal region: a) Awadhi b) Gauri c) Telangani d) Bengal
11. Who had accepted the authority of the early Muslim leaders: a) sunni b) Shias c) Khalifas d) none
12. Match the following contents of column A with that of column B
Column A Column B
a) chronicler dense and difficult
b) Poet Al- Idrisi
c) Nastaliq Style Minhaj – i- Siraj
d) Shikaste Style cursive and easy
e) cartographer Amir Khusrau
14. Fill in the blank with appropriate words:
- _____ provide a lot of information to the historians.
- Rules and regulations of jatis were enforced by_____
- Knowledge of ___ earned Brahmana a lot of respect.
- The Muslims had two divisions the ____ and the_____
- _____ had controlled an empire from Bengal in the east to Ghazni in the west.
15. State whether the given statementss are true or false:
- Science of cartography differed between 12th and 13th century.
- We have many original manuscripts to get information
- Between 8th and 14th century the term Kshatriya was used for group of Brahmanas
- Status of a jati remained same from region to region
- Muslims had two schools of law Hanafi and Shafii
1.What is the term Ulma: a) learned theologians and jurist b) Head of the Muslim world c) Shia Muslims d) none
2. Who among the following was the founder of Kadamba dynasty in Karnataka: a) Dantidurga b) Mayursharman c) Harishchandra d) Pulkesi -II
3.Why do historians today have to be careful about the terms in the past: a) They do not know the meaning of terms b) the terms may have more than one meaning c) the terms meant different in the past d) none
4. In which century Babur used Hindustan to describe geography of subcontinent: a) 17th century b) 18th century c) 16th century d) none
5. Prosperity in the subcontinent attract trading companies of which region: a) European b) Australian c) Russian d) None
- Who among the following was a famous poet of 14th century? a) Al- Beruni b) Amir Khusro c) Ziaudding Barani d) Minhas- i- Siraj
- By whom the term ” Hindustan” was used in 13th century: a) Al-Beruni b) Al – Idrisi c) Minhaj-i- Siraj d) None
- Choose the odd one out: a) Minhaj -i- Siraj b) Al- Idrisi c) Amir Khusrau d) Ziyauddin Barani
- A sanskrit Prashati, praising this Delhi Sultan, that explained he was the ruler of a vast empire. Idenitfy the Sultan a) Iltutmish b) Babur c) Alauddin Khilji d) Mohammad Bin Tughlaq
- Consider the following statements regarding historian Ziauddin Barani: Statement 1: He was a famous chronicler of 14th century Statement 2:He wrote his chronicle first in 1356 and another version two years later Statement 3: Historians knew both the versions and used it later. Which of the following statement is/are correct? a) Only 1 b) only 2 c) Only 1 and 2 d) All of these
- Consider the following:
Statement1: In the mid 19th century, British historians divided the history of India in 3 periods: Hindu, Muslim and British.
Statement 2: This division was based on the idea that the religion of the rulers was the only important historical change.
Statement 3: Such a division also included the rich diversity of the subcontinent. Which statement is/ are incorrect: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Only 3 d) all of these
- Assertion A: Manuscript interpreting is difficult because over the years changed because of the small changes in words by the scribes and change in Reason R: Different kind of hand writings like nastaliq style and shikaste style made it difficult to read Persian and Arabic handwriting.
a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A
b) Both A and R are true bur R is not the correct explanation of A
c) A is true but R is false.
d) A is false but R is true