asexual reproduciton, budding, embryo, fertilization, fragmentation, hypha, ovule, pollen grain, pollen tube, pollination, seed dispersal, sexual reproduction, spore, sporangium,totipotency, vegetative propagation, zygote
1. How do plants reproduce?
2. What is pollen, and what does it contain?
3. How does the process of sexual reproduction differ from the process of asexual reproduction?
4. Why do you think plants have two types of reproduction system?
- The process of reproducing by developing an outgrowth in the plant that detaches to form a new plant is called : a) spore formation b) grafting c) propagation d) none of the above
- Boojho saw a bread slice which had white green and black spots on it. Can you help him identify what type of fungus is on the bread called: a) rhizopus b) sporangium c) hypha d) spirogyra
- The smell of the rain is caused because: a) the soil is very dry b) air is very dry c) presence of bacteria in soil
- The three vegetative organs that are not involved in the reproduction of plants include the _____.(a) rings, blade, and mesophyll
(b) branches, cells, root cap
(c) root, leaf, and stem
(d) runners, tubers, and nodes.
- Which type of the following plants reproduce in the same way as sugarcane: 1) Bryophyllum 2) Rose 3) Hibiscus Options are: a) 1 and 2 b) 1 and 3 c) 2 and 3 d) 1, 2 and 3
- Which of these labelled parts form the carpel: a) P and Q only b) P, Q, R c) S and T d) S, T and R
- Which of the following is not dispersed by wind a) P b) Q c) R d) S
- Identify the process X and Y from the figure given:a) X= cross pollination Y= self pollination b) X= self pollination Y= cross pollination c) X= dispersal Y= fertilization d) X= germination Y= dispersion
- True or false:
a) Moss reproduces by the process of sporulation.
b) Mycelium is the thread like structure of Rhizopus
c) The roots of the fungus rhizopus are called rhizoids.
d) Bryophllyum propagates through asexual methods
e) Orchids and lemon grass grow by tuber type of vegetative propagation
5. Match the following statement in correct order:
a) They protect the bud ——— Anther
b) They form the corolla ——– sepals
c) It stores the pollen grains——— petals
d) They are slender stalks that hold the anther————- stamens
6. Match the dispersal method with the plant:
a) We love to be blown by air so we grow into flattened fruits ——— Censor Mechanism
b) Luffa releases its seeds by swinging the fruit in air———– Sheesam
c) We stick to the hair of animals with hooks we have and are carried away to a new place——- Lotus
d) We float on water and travel long distances before germinating——– Strawberry
e) We are the only fruits that have seeds outside, one of us is——— Xanthium
- Write in correct order:
i) Second male gametic nuclei fuses with two other female nuclei to form an endosperm
ii) Stigma secretes nutrients for the pollen grains.
iii) One of the gametic nuclei fuses with the egg to form a zygote
iv) Ovule contains he female egg.
v) Pollen tube has two male gametic nuclei called sperm nuclei
vi) These grow into stigma through the style to the ovule
vii) Pollen grains absorb nutrients and grow to form a thin tube called pollen tube
viii) This process is called double fertilization
2. Put the steps in order for Binary fission:
a) splitting of parent cell into two almost similar cells
b) Daughter bacterial cells separated
c) cell membrane divides
d) division of the nuclear materials
3. What happens after this stage:a) the ovary splits into a fruit and ovules into seeds b) the ovules are dispersed c) the ovary splits again d) germination takes place
4. Which organism is described in the information given below: i) respire anaerobically ii) used to make wine iii) reproduced by budding a) Potato b) grapes c) yeast d) mucor
5. Arrange the sentences in right order: W= the pollen tube grows down through the style and reaches the ovary X= The pollen grain germinates on reaching the stigma Y= the male gamete moves into the ovules to fuse with ovum Z= the pollen tube grows out from the pollen a) WXYZ b) XZWY c) YWZX d) WZXY
6. The figure below represents which of the following process?a) Growth b) germination c) fertilization d) dispersal
7. Which of these is / are NOT an example of vegetative propagation a) Only P b) Only Q c) R and S only d) P, Q, R only
8. Where do pollination and fertilization take place in the given diagram a) X = Pollination Y= fertilization b) Y= pollination X= fertilization c) Y= pollination Z= fertilization d) Z= pollination Y= fertilization
- Why must seeds be dispersed far away from parent plant : 1. to ensure the survival of the species 2. to avoid competition for sunlight 3. because plant cannot move by themselves 4. to ensure plants obtain sufficient space for growth. a) Both 1 and 2 b) Both 3 and 4 c) 1, 2 and 4 d) All of the above
- Hema cut potato into sections P,Q,R and S. Which of the section will NOT produce a new plant:a) P only b) Q and R only c) Q and S only d) P and R only
- Look at fruits P and Q. P is thick fleshy fruit and Q is covered with stiff hairs. Dispersal agents for P and Q will be:a) wind b) water c) animals d) splitting
- The table given below shows various ways in which parts of plants reproduce: Plants Ways of reproduction
a) X= seeds Y= suckers Z= spores
b) X= maple Y= eyes Z= seeds
c) X= Mucor Y= eyes Z= seeds
d) X= drumstick Y= spores Z= suckers
2. Riddle to solve:
a) I have buds, store food and have some scale leaves. I am a stem that loves to grow underground. Who am I?_______
b) I am a flowering plant and bloom in winters. My branches emerge from the stem’s base and grow horizontally along the surface of the ground. Nodes are present in these branches and nodes give rise to buds. These buds can grow into new plants. Can you tell my name?
c) I am a stem that grows underground and am also called a bulb. I have many fleshy leaves with buds between them that give rise to new plants. I am used in cooking food. Can you tell my name?
d) We are called tubers and give rise to plants. One of us is a stem tuber and other one is a root tuber. Can you guess our names.
e) Saffron and Galdioli stems belong to our category. We also grow underground. What type of stems are we called?
3. Statement 1: Sepals are formed from calyx Statement 2: Sepal help in photosynthesis
Choose the correct option:
a) Statement 1 and Statement 2 are correct d) Both Statement 1 and Statement 2 are false c) Only Statement 1 is correct d) Only statement 2 is correct