varna, jati, tanda, garh, chaurasi, barhot, bhuiyans, paik, khel, buranji, census, Ahoms, Khokar, clans
1. Do you think tribes have played a major role in developing the rich culture of the current Indian society?
2. How do you think the freedom with which tribes lived affected their culture and traditions?
- What was varna- based society?
- Who were tribal people?
- Define clans. How did they originate?
- What is shifting cultivation?
- Match the following:
a) Bhils 1) Western Himalayas
b) Ghonda 2) Odisha
c) Gaddis 3) Chattisgarh
d) Kutliya Kond 4) Central India
- Ahom State depended upon forced labour know as: a) Vetti b) Bhuiyans c) Paiks d) Tanda
- Historical works in Ahom kingdom written first in Ahom and then in Assamese were: a) Khels b) Chaurasi c) Buranjis d) None
- Name any tribes which lived in the extreme south: a) Vetars b) Maravars c) Both of them d) none of them
- Who were Ahoms: a) Mongols b) tribal groups c) Mughals d) none of these
- Gonds were: a) tribal group of Chattisgarh b)tribal groups of Karnataka c) tribal group of Punjab d) Tribal group of North West frontier
- What is the meaning of Gondwana: a) country inhabited by Mughals b) country inhabited by tribal c) country inhabited by Gonds d) none
- When were Cheros defeated: a) 1575 b) 1564 c) 1591 d) 1584
- Who used the services of Banjaras: a) Allaudin Khilji b) Jahangir c) Both of them d) None
- A division of Gond Kingdom controlled by a particular clan was termed as: a) Tanda b) Clan c) Garh d) khel
- Write a short note on the administrative system of the Ahoms.
- How were tribes different caste based societies? Write 2 differences.
- Write 2 difference between varnas and jati.
- Why do you think shifting cultivation is associated with tribal societies only?
- On what basis society was divided: a) according to varnas b) according to Puran c) according to wealth d) none of these
- What made Garha Katanga a rich state: a) By exporting wild elephants to other kingdom b) by exporting wild elephants to thier own kingdom c) importing wild elephants to thier kingdom d) none of these
- Why do you think Banjaras played a pivotal role in developing the economy in the medieval times?
- Why do you tribal clans were present in all parts of the subcontinent? Why were they not restricted to one region only?
- Consider the following statement about Ahoms: Statement 1: Migrated to Brahmaputra valley from present day China in 13th century Statement 2: Created a new state suppressing Bhuiyans (landlords) a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement about Jatis: Statement 1: They were the smaller castes within Varnas Statement 2: They became the basis of organizing society in medieval India. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement about Ahom Kingdom: Statement1: The Mughals attacked them and won against them but their rule did not last long Statement 2: Ahom took census of their population. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Religion in Ahom Kingdom was: Statement 1: Ahom kings gave up their, traditional beliefs after adopting Hinduism. Statement 2: Temples and Brahmanas were granted land. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement about Banjaras: Statement1: Banjaras were a very important nomads during Khilji and Mughal army military campaigns and they were involved carrying food grains Statement 2: Namjaras were also merchants who carried grains from cheap areas and sold to places where it was dearer. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement Gonds: Statement1: Godwana region was ruled by Gond tribes Statement 2: Gonds had a centralised administrative system that was divided into garhs followed by barhots which were subdivided into Chaurasi. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Consider the following statement about Paiks: Statement 1: Paiks were forced labourers and worked for clan chiefs Statement 2: Each village had landless peasants who were sent as Paiks to work as labourers to build dams and other public work. Choose the correct statement: a) Only 1 b) Only 2 c) Both 1 and 2 d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Do a comparative analysis of the administrative system between Ahoms and Gonds and who do you think was more powerful among the two.
- Some tribes established extensive and well organized systems of administration and politically powerful, thus bringing them into conflict with more complex kingdoms. Do you agree with this statement? Justify your answers
- Why do you think tribes remained free from caste based society? Give reasons