adaptation, weather, climate, elements of weather, tropical rainforest, polar region, humidity, migration
1. Why is adaptation important? How is it related to survival?
2. How does weather play a role in adaption of plants and animals?
3. Why do you think there are so many variety of plants and animals and every place has a different flora and fauna?
4. What would have happened if there would have been a constant climate in all parts of the earth?
1.Fill in the blanks:
i) Daily weather repost predicts____ for the day.
ii) Rain gauge is a ____ with a funnel on top to collect rain water.
iii) Weather of a place___day after day and week after week.
iv) Polar bears have two think layers of____ to protect them for extreme cold.
v) Polar bears and penguins are good____
vi) Monkeys have long tails for ___ branches.
2.Name two elements of weather.
3. Who prepares daily weather report?
4. True and false: a) It is easy to predict weather rather than climate. b) since very few preys are available polar bear does not need to have strong sense of smell.
c)Penguins stick together to fight the cold polar climate.
d) Tropical rain forests are cool and humid throughout the year becasue of heavy rains all the time.
5. Answer in one/ word/ one/ sentence:
a) Scientist who study the weather and climate.____
b) An instrument used to measure rainfall.____
c) The short term variation which occurs in the atmosphere is called____
d) Name the characteristic that enable the animals to blend with surrounding like skin color is_____
e) Name the climate of tropical region.____
f) During which time of the year you expect the sun to rise late and set early in your city/ town?
g) Name the thermometer used to measure the maximum and min temp of the day.
5. Which body part of an elephant are modified form of teeth. a) legs b) Trunk c) tusks d) Large ears
6. Which instruments is used to measure amount of water vapour present in the atmosphere? a) Hydrometer b) Anemometer c) Hydrometer d) Barometer
7. Anemometer is used to measure: a) amount of water vapor b) wind velocity c) Amount of rainfall d) air pressure
8. Which statement is False for meteorological department: a) It helps farmers by providing monsoon and rainfall reports b) It use satellite data to map pattern of heating and cooling of regions of Earth c) It calculate temperature of different places d) It does not give National alerts like cyclones
9. Which is the primary source of energy that causes changes in weather. a) Moon b) cloud c) Sun d) Air
10. A typical desert climate is found in which of the State of India. a) Srinagar b) Kerela c) Rajasthan d) Thiruvananthapuram
11. Toucan bird: a) has sticky pads on its feet b) has a long, large beak c) sensitive hearing d) None
12. What are the outstanding features of Beard Ape which lives in rainforests of Western Ghats: a) Its a good climber b) Spends most of its lifetime on trees c) It possesses a silver white mane d) all
13. Which part of the elephant helps it to keep cool in the hot and humid climate of rain forests: a) Trunk b) Tusk c) Ears d) Nose
- What is humidity? What are the causes humidity?
- Migration of birds takes place because____ a) they can’t survive in cold places b) They have to stay warm c) both a and b d) none
- Arboreal life is that where animals live: a) on trees b) on land c) in water d) both in land and water
- Adaptation of arboreal life is: a) camouflage b) opposable thumb c) thick skin d) hibernation
- Weather is predicted by considering: a) temperature b) amount of water vapor c) movement of air d) all of
- How have animals adapted to the climatic conditions in various regions. Explain with 3 examples.
- Fill in the blanks:
a) I am a bird and the only inhabitant of Antartica/ polar region.____
b) I am only responsible for all changes that occur in weather.
c) I am very cold region with six month day and six months night.__
d) I am the inhabitant of rainforest having a silver mane.___
e) I am unpredictable as I change myself in a short span of time
2. Cactus leaves are: Statement 1: Modified into spines, to reduce the intake of heat. Statement 2: modified into thorns, have fleshy branches Statement 3: Modified into thorns and have modified adventitious roots above the ground Statement 4: Modified into spines, to reduce moisture loss in transpiration. Choose the correct statement. a) Statement 1 b) Statement 2 c) Statement 3 d) Statement 4
3. The following data pertains to a State of India 1) the temperature is high during most part of the year 2) winter lasts only for a few months 3) the region receives very little rainfall. The above data is characteristics of which of the following states? a) Rajasthan b) Kerela c) Jammu and Kashmir d) None
4. A student studied an animal and made the following observations: a) Strong claws and broad hip girdles b) spines to prevent from slipping c) Ability to climb the trees Which of the following title best suits the above animals. a) Terrestrial b) Aquatic c) Amphibian d) Arboreal
5. Why does polar bear have a layer of fat under its skin?
6. why do birds migrate in winters from Siberia to wetlands of India and parts of gulf region.
- Do all seven days have same maximum and minimum temperature, humidity and rainfall? Give reasons
- A kind of forest which receives much rainfall throughout the year and also day and night are equal because: a) near the poles b) near the equator c) near the tropics d) None of these
- In which case will the air move faster? a) While moving from a region of high pressure to that of low pressure b) While moving from a region of low pressure to high pressure c) It will move with same speed in all the above case
- How does rotation and revolution of earth affect the change in everyday weather of the place?
- Why are days shorter and nights are longer in winters in Northern Hemisphere?
- Why does sun not set for six months in the poles?
- Can you give valid reason why tropical climates is hot and humid all round the year?
- Why do you think migration takes place in the first place? Give a valid reason to support your statement.
Complete the following analogies with respect to the adaptations:
- Toucan: ____:: Red eyed frog:____
- Polar Bear skin:____:: Penguin skin:____
- Trunk of an elephant:____:: Nose of an elephant:___
- Tiger:_____:: Zebra:____
- Penguin:_____:: Polar bear:_____
You are required to examine the following statement carefully and decide if Assertion A and Reason R are individually true and if so, whether the reason R are individually true and if so whether the reason is a correct explanation of assertion:
- Assertion A: Penguins are good swimmers Reason R: Penguins have webbed feet and streamlines body a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A. b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A. c) a is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: A leaf insect looks like leaves and polar bear has white fur Reason R: They use their bodies to attack enemies a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A. b) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Plants in cold regions shed leaves. Reason R: There is scarcity of water in cold weather. a) Both A and R are true and R is correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Birds migrate to warmer regions when winter sets in. Reason R: There is less food for birds in Polar regions. a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: The lion tailed Macaque lines in deserts Reason R: Macaque are good climbers a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Polar bear has a strong sense of smell so that it can catch its prey for food. Reason R: Penguins are huddled together to keep warm. a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Musk, oxen, reindeers, whales and birds are some of the animals found in polar regions. Reasons R: Birds migrate to warmer regions when winter sets in. a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true
- Assertion A: Elephants is a well known animal of Indian tropical rainforest. Reason R: Large ears of elephant help it to hear even very soft sounds. a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A b) Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A c) A is true but R is false d) A is false but R is true